Friday, August 20, 2010

To Grow or Not to Grow...







Early Spring, I start craving the taste of fresh basil, especially after months of nasty grocery store fresh basil that costs too much. Basil has to be planted year after year so it can be a bit of a pain. However, perennial herbs, such as tarragon, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, and marjoram, come back year after year. In fact, most of them come back heartier than ever.

I haven't had very good luck with flat leaf parsley, dill weed, or cilantro. I guess the good news is that I can buy fairly large bunches of at least the parsley and cilantro at the grocery store for a decent price.

Whether planted in the ground or in pots, herbs are extremely easy to take care of and worth having. Sometimes my entire menu will be based on which herbs that I need to use up. Fresh herbs have significant health benefits across the board and worth incorporating into your meals.

This year, I planted tomato, cucumber, and bell pepper plants. The problem with having a vegetable garden is that veggies need to be watered frequently. The heat this year has really taken it's toll on the tomatoes and they are not doing well at all. I seem to be getting a few bell peppers and cucumbers but because I planted so few to begin with, it doesn't seem to be worth spending the money watering them. Translation: I could buy cucumbers and green peppers CHEAPER at the grocery store. Oh well...live and learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment