Sunday, October 9, 2011

Black Bean Tostadas with Poblano Salsa


I was going to make Trent Rosenbloom's Chilis Rellenos recipe but realized that I was missing an ingredient and just too lazy to run out to the grocery store. So, I decided to use two of the poblano peppers and make a salsa. The black beans are my mom's recipe that I've been making for years. Grant has loved black beans since he was a one year old so I always know that I will please him with tostadas.

Poblano Salsa


  • 2 poblano peppers  finely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • a half a bunch of green onions/chives, chopped
  • 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • handful of cilantro, chopped
  • the juice of one lime, chopped
  • 1 cup of frozen corn kernels or fresh corn if it's in season
  • 1 tbs of organic raw blue agave syrup**
  • salt to taste
  • 1 jalepeno (remove seeds), finely chopped


Toss and refrigerate for one hour. I added two avocados on top but this was just something I did at the last minute. I could have made guacamole but just wasn't in the mood to. I also served the salsa on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce.

**the sweetness of the agave syrup helps balance out the bitterness of the poblanos.


Mom's Black Bean recipe
  • 3 cans of black beans, drained (or use dried beans and follow the package instructions)
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 1 vidalia (sweet) onion, minced
  • 1 tsp of oregano
  • 3 tbs of cumin
Saute onion and garlic on medium heat on the stove until soft. Add oregano and cumin and saute for 2 minutes. Add beans and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Bring down to low/simmer

Black beans are packed with both protein and fiber. I will be the first to admit, however, that I do not eat black beans the night before a race because of the high amount of fiber.

Tostadas


Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place large round crispy tortillas (found at any supermarket) on a cookie sheet. Add beans and cheese on top. Chopped up cooked chicken can also be added.

These beans are great as leftovers. You can use them as dip with tortilla chips as a snack, wrapped in a flour tortilla with cheese and microwaved for a quick burrito, or make a quesadilla with either corn or flour tortillas (whole wheat tortillas work well too).

Feel free to add a dollop of sour cream, verde sauce, or hot sauce. Pepper jack cheese will add some extra heat as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment