Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings


 The day after New Years was about putting Christmas away for us. I don't know about you but when I put Christmas away, I start thinking about purging and a little home redecorating. Once the Christmas decorations are gone, I can see my home in a whole different light. 


I will admit that I can be a pack rat. In fact, I have to go to great effort to keep things organized and make myself throw away or give away things that I don't use anymore. I had a large collection of food magazines and some Ultra Running magazines that I needed to dispose of, even though it was a painful chore. Of course, I made sure I only threw away the Ultra Running magazines that did not have my name in them!


While tossing out the Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" magazines, I noticed the cover of one, then another, until I found myself completely enthralled in them. I came across a Chicken and Dumpling recipe that was a little different than my friend Whitney's recipe, so I decided to give it a try for dinner.  I made just a few minor changes and it turned out pretty tasty.


2 tbs of butter
1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
one medium onion cut into 1-inch pieces
5 medium carrots, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup all purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 carton of reduced sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts on the rib, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 tbs chopped fresh dill or 3/4 tsp dried dill weed
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs milk (I used skim)


In a Dutch oven (5-6qt with a tight fitting lid), heat butter and olive oil over medium. Add onion, carrots, and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly; season with salt and pepper. Nestle chicken in pot; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, make dumplings: In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup flour, dill, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. With a fork, gradually stir in 1/2 cup of milk to form a moist and soft batter. It should be just a little thicker than pancake batter and should easily drop from the tip of the spoon. (Add additional 2 tbs milk if too thick.) Set aside.


Stir peas into pot. Drop batter in simmering liquid in 10 heaping spoonfuls, keeping them spaced apart (dumplings will swell as they cook). Cover, and simmer until chicken is tender and dumplings are firm, 20 minutes, Serve. 
Dumplings add to the soup








20 minutes later





No comments:

Post a Comment