Friday, January 6, 2012

Omega 3 Dark Chocolate Brownies



Was in the mood for something chocolate which really isn't different than any other day and decided to make some "healthy" brownies using a mix, which I bought at Publix for buy one get one free, recently. I was experimenting so I hope I have the measurements accurately.  Because I added oats and flax seed, I had to add a little more of the liquid ingredients. The reason I called them Omega 3 Brownies is because they have both walnuts and ground flax seed in them which are both great sources of Omega 3.

1 egg
3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
1 tbs of vegetable oil
1/3 cup of water
a cup of chopped walnuts (or to taste)
1/4 cup of ground flax seeds (I buy mine at Costco and store them in the freezer)
3/4 cup of quick oats
GHIRARDELLI Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix.
powdered sugar

Pre-heat oven to 325

Mix egg, pumpkin puree, oil, and water together. Then add walnuts, flax seeds, quick oats, and brownie mix. Mix well.

I used a brownie pan lined with parchment paper. I sprayed the parchment paper with vegetable oil. That way I didn't have to worry about washing another pan and it was easier to transfer to a cutting board while on the parchment paper for pretty cutting.

Pour mixture in brownie pan to bake for about 40 minutes. Check on them by inserting a toothpick to make sure they are done. It could take 45 minutes depending on your oven.

Sprinkle powdered sugar through a sieve for a little added sweetness and to make them look oh so pretty. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. These were really good! I was looking for a recipe using a box brownie mix (and you used my fav) that incorporated ground flaxseed without substituting the eggs altogether. The oats were a good addition also. I added some mini chocolate chips : ) Thanks for sharing..I will make this again!

    ReplyDelete